Photobucket  photo linec_zpsaf5a5183.jpg Photobucket  photo linec_zpsaf5a5183.jpg Photobucket  photo linec_zpsaf5a5183.jpg Photobucket  photo linec_zpsaf5a5183.jpg Photobucket

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Calculus Shoes // DIY

This week has been pretty crazy! I had a Biology midterm Thursday and a Calculus midterm on Friday and now I have to study for Chemistry on Tuesday. I also got a very bad sunburn so I am currently half lobster, half human. 

In honor of my midterm Friday, it's time for one of my favorite projects ever:

Calculus Shoes!


They are probably one of the easiest projects I've ever done and definitely one of my favorite end results! I've gotten lots of compliments on them (and maybe a few weird looks, too. But I'm proud to be a nerd!)

They were inspired by Calculus Toms. I don't know if you've ever seen them, but they're awesome. However, they only have size 5 or something left and if you want to buy them on eBay in size 8 then they are over $100 (I've looked). Ridiculous. 

So, I made my own. Click "Read More" below for instructions!



Being able to say that you made them adds value, too!

Here's what you'll need:
1. Fabric paint pen. Don't use the puffy fabric paint. You want the writing to look like it is a part of the fabric.
2. Plain fabric shoes. My mom got these for me at Target for ~$12.00. (She also got herself a pair so we could match! She's a fellow nerd).
3. Lots of plastic grocery bags
4. Either calculus books, a computer (so you can google!), or just plain knowledge of some calculus.

That's it!
The fabric paint pen I used:

The shoes before:

Here's how:

1. Take the tag(s) off the shoes and stuff the insides with plastic bags so there aren't any wrinkles in the fabric and you have a more solid surface to write on.


2. Test the fabric paint pen on another piece of fabric or paper (I just used the tags I had taken off). Usually you have to shake it and push the tip in. The first time you use it, the paint comes out pretty quickly so definitely don't skip this step.

3. Flip through some calculus books or google some random calculus equations to use for your shoes. (I used some of my old AP Calculus study books because I didn't have my college calculus book with me). Basically, I just flipped through and found random problems and equations that looked "calculus-y" and used those.


4. Start writing! I wrote regular, upside down, and diagonally. Use bigger equations/formulas/problems for bigger spaces and smaller ones for smaller spaces. On the tongues of the shoes, I just put d^2y/dx^2 although I ended up covering the tongues up with shoelaces later. 

(representing Ohio State!)

5. Allow to dry and show off your smart shoes!




Now my mom and I both have matching Calculus shoes for less than the price of one pair of Toms. 

Now I have to put some aloe vera on my legs and get back to studying Crystal Field Theory.
______________________________________________________________________

"Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God." -Psalms 42:5
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Geek power!!! Love this!!! Thank you for sharing!! <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you appreciate the nerd in me :) Thanks for stopping by and for your positive comments!

      Alyssa

      Delete
  2. :) im making a pair of high school math shoes, science and a pair of shoes for horse breeds! thank you for the great idea and for giving me something to do on my 4 day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm glad to hear you liked the idea and you're making it your own :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Alyssa

      Delete

Feedback? Questions? Say it here! I love hearing from you all.

Please keep your comments and feedback kind and uplifting.